Choosing the right keywords for your SEO campaign is one of the most important factors when it comes to success. It’s also the hardest part of an SEO campaign, since keyword research is a complicated and time consuming process that requires lots of focus and analysis. Fortunately, we’re here to help! In this article we’ll break down how you can select keywords that will work best for your business, and show you how to avoid common mistakes that could hurt your rankings in Google search results pages (SERPS).
Know your market.
Before you can begin to start keyword research, there are a few things you need to know.
- Know your market and audience. If you’re an online retailer, it’s important that you understand who your customers are and what they want so that the content on your site can match their needs. To do this effectively, consider conducting surveys or doing user interviews with people who have purchased products from your business in the past, asking them questions like: What were they looking for when they visited our website? What information were they hoping to find? Were there any challenges or roadblocks that prevented them from finding what they wanted? How could we improve our site?
- Know your competitors. While researching keywords for SEO purposes is something that should be done regularly at least once per month it’s especially important if there has been some sort of shift in how these keywords are used by consumers over time. If a competitor suddenly uses more than one word together as part of their title tag, then it might be time for you too follow suit!
Know your competition.
Once you have a clear idea of what your site is about, it’s time to dig deeper. You need to know where your competitors stand in terms of SEO and content strategy.
It’s important for you to know:
- How much traffic does their website receive?
- What keywords are they ranking for?
- What strategies do they use?
- What content do they publish regularly?
You can find this information by using tools like SEMrush or Ahrefs, which analyze a wide range of data points using advanced crawlers. The key here is that these tools will let you see exactly how far ahead your competition is when it comes to SEO (search engine optimization). Once again, if any competitor appears particularly far ahead in this area and if they’re also getting tons of organic traffic from Google you should consider them as an inspiration rather than as an enemy.
Do the keyword research yourself or hire an SEO agency to do it for you?
There are pros and cons to doing your own keyword research and hiring an SEO agency or professional SEO keyword research service. You should weigh the benefits of each before choosing one over the other.
If you choose to do your own keyword research, you can save money on hiring an SEO agency. However, if you don’t have a strong background in SEO or technical skills, it will be difficult for you to do effective research. If this is the case, then it’s best for you to hire an SEO agency instead so that they can perform this task for you and help guide them towards making better decisions based on their expertise in this field.